Low Carb Crepes & Pancakes - keto, paleo
- 1 cup watermelon seeds (sprouted, see notes on where to purchase)
- 4 eggs (pastured)
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk (sprouted, see notes on where to purchase)
- 2 tablespoons sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Note: This recipe will also work with just 1 egg, but you will have to increase the "milk" to thin out the batter if only using 1 egg.
- I like the extra protein and extra crepes I get when I use 2 eggs.
- Measure 1/2 cup of sprouted watermelon seeds (measure before grinding.) Then grind them into "flour" using a coffee grinder, takes about 15 seconds.
- Mix watermelon seed flour with 1 Tablespoon of "milk" (I use coconut milk), then add in remaining ingredients in the order they are listed.
- If you need to thin out your batter a little more, then add in another Tablespoon of "milk", add as needed.
- I get the best results with a thin batter, and have updated this recipe to include optional oil, as I find the oil helps the batter cook up a little more golden in the crepe maker.
- I recommend using a whisk, or immersion blender, to blend the batter and get rid of any clumps.
- You can use a crepe maker or a frying pan to make the crepes.
- To make the most perfect crepes I use this crepe maker that cooks the crepes on both sides, at the same time.
- If using the crepe maker, add a little pat of butter (I use goat milk butter) or oil, spoon on a little batter, gently close the top lid, and wait about 1 to 2 minutes.
- The crepe maker will "beep" when they are ready, but I like to cook them in a shorter time, so I pull them off shortly before the "beep".
- You will get a knack for knowing when they are ready once you've made them a couple times.
- For those using a frying pan, heat it up over medium heat.
- Add a little oil or butter, spoon in a little batter, swirl the pan to help spread out the batter (or gently use a spoon).
- Once little bubbles appear in the batter they are ready to flip.
- Note: if using a frying pan, it works best to make your crepes on the SMALLER side, this is because they are tricky to flip the bigger they are.
- You will see that the bottom cooked side holds together nicely, but the top uncooked side gets kinda messy when you flip them, that's okay, as once you flip them, and use a spatula to push them back together, they will hold together really nicely after both sides are cooked.
- But I still recommend making them smaller than you would if using a crepe maker.
- Crepes keep well in an air tight container in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Check out this post for the savory crepe recipe that makes a wonderful sandwich "wrap".
- Recipe Notes I use the Go Raw brand of Sprouted Watermelon Seeds in this recipe.
- The best deals I have found have been around $7.99 at Whole Foods and $9.99 at Vitacost.
- To save $10 on your first order from Vitacost, use this link: https://goo.gl/HB3zII
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:48:41.