Spicy Almond Tofu
- 1 package tofu (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 1/8 cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Press the tofu.
- Wrap tofu in paper towel and place on a flat plate.
- Place a pan/skillet on top of the wrapped tofu in order to apply pressure and force out the moisture.Dice the tofu into 1 inch cubes and slice the almonds.Melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a skillet over high heat.
- When the oil is up to temperature add the tofu cubes.
- Allow the tofu to cook on each side for 2 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.Add the almonds to the pan when the tofu is nearly completely crispy.
- Allow the almonds to cook on high for 1-2 minutes with the tofu.Add all of the spices, along with 3/4 of the sesame seeds.(save 1/4 for plating)Add 2 tbsp of water along with the soy sauce.
- (If you add the soy sauce on it's own it may burn in the hot pan)Allow the spice blend and soy sauce to reduce all the way down until no liquid remains.
- You should be left with tofu/almonds that are coated with the spice blend.Optional: 30 seconds before removing from the stove add in your favorite hot sauce.
- We use Green Dragon Chili Sauce from trader joes.
- Any sauce will do though.
- Some other options are Chili Garlic Paste, or traditional Tabasco sauce.Serve over steamed broccoli.
- Top with the remaining sesame seeds and additional chopped almonds if desired.
- Drizzle with 1 tsp of Sesame Oil.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:09:37.