Low carb McDonald’s breakfast sandwich copycat
- 1/2 cup almond flour (this is the brand we used)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour (this is the brand we used)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sweetener (this is the brand we used)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons maple extract (this is the brand we used)
- 1/8 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (this is the brand we used)
- 2 breakfast sausage patty (this is the brand we used)
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Start with griddle cakes: in a bowl, mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, sweetener, salt, and xanthan gum until well combined.
- Make a well in your dry ingredients, and add 3 eggs, maple extract, sour cream, and almond milk.
- Whisk or blend until mixture has no lumps and resembles a thick pancake batter.
- Heat a nonstick skillet just under medium low heat.
- When hot, place silicone molds into your skillet and add 1/2 tsp of butter to the inside of each mold, tilting the pan gently or moving the mold itself to ensure that butter has reached every edge of the mold.
- When butter is bubbling hot (but not smoking), use a quarter cup measure to add a scant scoop of batter to each mold.
- If your batter won’t reach the edges, take a fork or knife and spread it gently and evenly.
- Cover your pan a let griddle cakes cook for 4 minutes.
- Then remove your lid, carefully lift the silicone molds, and gently flip.
- Cover again and let the griddle cakes cook for 2.5-3 minutes.
- When all griddle cakes are cooked, raise heat to medium and add sausage to the pan.
- Cook according to package instructions until brown.
- Remove from pan.
- On medium heat, add silicone molds back to the pan.
- Place a piece of butter in each one and swirl so it reaches the edges of each mold.
- Crack one egg into each mold.
- Working quickly, use a soft utensil such as a spatula to pop the yolk and mix it with the egg white.
- To make sure the edges of your egg cook, you may have to slide away some of the cooked egg at the bottom to incorporate the runny egg at the top.
- When edges are set, remove the mold and flip, leaving eggs in the pan until cooked.
- Assemble sandwiches using two griddle cakes, one sausage patty, one egg, and one cheese slice each.
- Serve warm.
- Details Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 35 mins Total time: 40 mins Yield: 2 sandwiches
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:51:51.