Mediterranean Cauli-Rice with Fried Halloumi
- 1 cauliflower (small
- 1 red onion (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 2 cloves garlic (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon red pestos (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 pieces sun-dried tomatoes (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 320 grams halloumi (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- lemon wedges (small, stalk and leaves removed,, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- Remove the leaves and stalk from the cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks.
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a high speed food processor.
- Using the S blade or a grating blade, pulse until it resembles a rice sized consistency.
- Takes about 10 seconds.
- Add an inch of boiling water to a pan and place on the stove.
- Add your cauliflower rice to a metal steamer and place in the pan.
- Steam for 7 - 8 minutes until cooked but slightly el-dente.
- Alternatively, you can place the cauli-rice in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of water and cook in the microwave on high for about 3-5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a muslin cloth or nut bag and squeeze out the excess water (this is what makes the cauli-rice nice and fluffy).
- If you dont have muslin, a fine, clean tea towel would also work.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a sauce pan on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Add 1 extra tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan, along with the cauliflower rice, oregano, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, paprika, pesto and olive oil.
- Mix and fluff with a fork.
- Season to taste (remember the Halloumi is salty too)! Turn off the heat, and toss through the fresh parsley.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the Halloumi slices and fry on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes per side, until it starts to turn golden and crisp.
- Place the Mediterranean cauliflower rice on a plate and top with the fried Halloumi.
- Optionally, garnish with more parsley and ground black pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- Eat immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat as needed.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:51:12.