Paleo & Keto Sesame Chicken Wings
- 1.5 kilograms chicken wingettes (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 4 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 4 tablespoons xylitol sweetener (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 2 cloves garlic (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot starch (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds (preferably higher-welfare or organic)
- 2 scallions (finely chopped)
- Rinse, pat dry chicken wingettes and place in a single layer in a rimmed tray (suitable for marinating).
- Set aside.
- Mix coconut aminos, sweetener, molasses (optional), ginger, garlic, sesame oil, rice vinegar and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
- Taste for seasoning and if need be add a pinch of kosher salt and adjust acidity with rice vinegar.
- Pour half of the sesame seasoning over the chicken and reserve the rest.
- Cover chicken, refrigerate, and marinate for at least two hours (preferably overnight!).
- Place oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Line a rimmed baking tray with aluminum foil and lightly oil it.
- Place marinated chicken, along with the juices, in the prepared tray.
- Roast until cooked through, 35-40 minutes, flipping the wings half way through.
- Make the glaze while the wings are cooking.
- Place reserved marinade in a saucepan with 1/4 cup water and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Sieve out the ginger and garlic pieces and return to saucepan.
- If paleo and using honey, you can go ahead and skip the next step as your glaze will have reduced already.
- Once the glaze is simmering again, dissolve the arrowroot (or thickener of choice) in a couple tablespoons of water (i.e.
- make a slurry!).
- Pour the slurry into the sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Continue to simmer until just thickened (the arrowroot will break down if overcooked).
- Keep in mind that the glaze will continue to thicken once off the heat.
- Pour the sesame glaze over the wings once they're cooked through and deep golden.
- Serve right away topped with sesame seeds and scallions.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:14:26.