Paleo, Whole30 & Keto Marinara Sauce
- 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano preferably)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic (San Marzano preferably)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (San Marzano preferably)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (San Marzano preferably)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (San Marzano preferably)
- 1 basil (large
- Pour tomatoes out of the can and crush with your hands.
- Add water to the can, using it to get all the tomato goodness out of it.
- Set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot add in garlic and cook for a minute or so, not allowing it to brown.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and reserved water, along with salt, red pepper flakes and oregano.
- Place the basil spring whole in the center of the sauce, allowing it to submerge as it cooks.
- If no fresh basil is at hand, use dried.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until thickened and the oil on the surface is a deep yellow color.
- Discard basil, mix thoroughly and use as needed.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:14:15.