Healthy Homemade Mayo, Three Ways
- 3/4 cup macadamia oil (or light-tasting olive oil / nut oils, 180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 1 large egg yolks (or light-tasting olive oil / nut oils, 180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or light-tasting olive oil / nut oils, 180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (or light-tasting olive oil / nut oils, 180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 1/4 lemon (~ 1 tbsp)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or light-tasting olive oil / nut oils, 180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 2 tablespoons whey (or light-tasting olive oil / nut oils, 180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- Make sure all the ingredients have reached room temperature.
- Separate the egg white from the egg yolk.
- Place the egg yolk and the Dijon mustard (try home-made mustard) into a bowl secured with a piece of cloth or kitchen towel and blend until well combined.
- Use a food processor (or a hand whisk).
- Turn it on and very slowly start to drizzle in the oil.
- Using extra virgin olive oil may make the taste of your mayonnaise too strong.
- Keep pouring the oil until the mixture starts to look more like mayonnaise.
- Then, a slow steady stream of oil can be added.
- Keep the food processor on until it gets to a desired thickness.
- If the mayonnaise is not thick enough, add a bit more oil.
- After you pour all the oil in, add lemon juice, vinegar and season with salt.
- Add a few drops of stevia (if needed) and mix well.
- If it's too thick, add a few drops of water.
- Mix until well combined.
- Adding the lemon and vinegar will turn the colour to a light yellow.
- To boost the flavour, add a teaspoon of garlic or onion powder.
- When the mayonnaise is done, put it in a glass container and seal well.
- You can store it in the fridge for up to a week.
- If you want the mayonnaise to last several months, add a tablespoon or two of whey (whey is a by-product when making homemade ricotta) or powder from one probiotic capsule (simply open the capsule and combine the powder with the mayo).
- Cover the mayonnaise and let it sit on a kitchen counter for 8 hours.
- This is essential in order to activate the enzymes that will keep your mayo fresh.
- After 8 hours, refrigerate and use within the next 3 months.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:40:16.