Great Grandma's Keto Chocolate Meringue Pie
- 1 cup almond milk ,
- 1/2 cup heavy cream ,
- 3 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
- 2 ounces Bakers Chocolate Bar (unsweetened,
- 2 tablespoons liquid stevia (reserve whites for meringue)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum ,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (reserve whites for meringue)
- meringue ,
- 3 egg whites ,
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar ,
- 4 tablespoons erythritol (reserve whites for meringue)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Filling: In a medium saucepan put almond milk and heavy cream on medium to low heat. Whisk together. When the temperature of the liquid is right before boiling (about a minute) break bakers chocolate into pieces and add to hot liquid. Whisk until all chocolate is melted and combined with liquid. Put heat to low. Separate egg yolks in one bowl and egg whites in another. Temper eggs (take ¼ cup of the hot liquid and put half at a time in the eggs yolks and whisk until combined, this brings the eggs up to the same temperature as the rest of the liquid and will keep it from scrambling the eggs when it is combined with the rest of the liquid) Then pour the egg yolks into the saucepan with the rest of the liquid. Whisk together until fully combined. Add xanthan gum and whisk thoroughly to combine. Increase the temperature to medium and whisk consistently until pie filling thickens. When thickened it will be the consistency of pudding. Pour pie filling into a prebaked pie shell. You can get our pie shell recipe here. Meringue: Beat egg white with cream of tartar and vanilla with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form. Then, gradually add the powdered erythritol a little at a time. Beat until stiff peaks glossy peaks form and sweetener is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling making sure to seal to the edge of the pie shell to prevent shrinkage. With the side of a rubber spatula create peaks on top of the meringue. Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool on the counter for 2 hours. Then, place in the fridge until serving. It will set more the longer it is in the fridge. I find it best the next day. Notes Nutrition includes crust We use granular erythritol then we use a coffee grinder to powder it.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:36.