Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
- 4 egg yolks ,
- 2 tablespoons liquid stevia (or to taste We use this)
- 1 tablespoon butter ,
- 1/4 cup lemon juice ,
- 3/4 cup water ,
- 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum (or to taste We use this)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon (or to taste We use this)
- meringue ,
- 4 egg whites ,
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar ,
- 4 tablespoons erythritol (or to taste We use this)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or to taste We use this)
- Filling: In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add water, lemon juice, and butter until the butter is melted. Whisk everything together. Add a little of the lemon mixture to the egg yolks and blend to bring the eggs up to the temp. of the lemon mixture (temper the egg yolks). Add egg yolks when tempered and whisk into the lemon mixture, stirring constantly. Add xanthan gum and whisk to combine cook until mixture thickens. Pour into a prebaked pie crust. You can use our pie crust recipe. Make sure you always blind bake the pie first. Meringue: In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered erythritol 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until peaks are stiff and glossy. Spoon onto hot pie filling. Spread over filling evenly, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping. With the side of a rubber spatula create peaks on top of the meringue. Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool on the counter for 2 hours. Then place in the fridge until serving. It will set up more the longer it is in the fridge. I find it best the next day. Notes Nutrition includes the crust We use granular erythritol and then just use a coffee grinder to powder it yourself.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:34.