Keto Lemon Meringue Pie
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons liquid stevia (or to taste We use this)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum (or to taste We use this)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon (or to taste We use this)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons erythritol (or to taste We use this)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or to taste We use this)
- Filling: In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, add water, lemon juice, and butter until the butter is melted.
- Whisk everything together.
- Add a little of the lemon mixture to the egg yolks and blend to bring the eggs up to the temp.
- of the lemon mixture (temper the egg yolks).
- Add egg yolks when tempered and whisk into the lemon mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add xanthan gum and whisk to combine cook until mixture thickens.
- Pour into a prebaked pie crust.
- You can use our pie crust recipe.
- Make sure you always blind bake the pie first.
- Meringue: In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered erythritol 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until peaks are stiff and glossy.
- Spoon onto hot pie filling.
- Spread over filling evenly, carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- With the side of a rubber spatula create peaks on top of the meringue.
- Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let cool on the counter for 2 hours.
- It will set up more the longer it is in the fridge.
- I find it best the next day.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:34.