Sourdough Keto Baguettes
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/3 cup psyllium husks (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 cup luke warm water (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 360 °F.
- Use a kitchen scale to measure all the ingredients carefully.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl (almond flour, coconut flour, ground flaxseed, psyllium powder, baking soda, and salt).
- Do not use whole psyllium husks - if you cannot find psyllium husk powder, use a blender or coffee grinder and process until fine.
- If you get already prepared psyllium husk powder, remember to weigh it before adding to the recipe.
- I used whole psyllium husks which I grinded myself.
- Do not use just measure cups - different products have different weights per cup! In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, egg whites and buttermilk.
- The reason you shouldn't use only whole eggs is that the bread wouldn't rise with so many egg yolks in.
- Don't waste them - use them for making Homemade Mayo, Easy Hollandaise Sauce or Lemon Curd.
- For the same reason, use low-fat (not full-fat) buttermilk.
- Add the egg mixture and process well using a mixer until the dough is thick.
- Add vinegar and lukewarm water and process until well combined.
- Do not over-process the dough.
- Using a spoon, make 8 regular or 16 mini baguettes and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- They will rise, so make sure to leave some space between them.
- Optionally, score the baguettes diagonally and make 3-4 cuts.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then, reduce the temperature to 150 °C/ 300 °F and bake for another 30-45 minutes (small baguettes will take less time to cook).
- Remove from the oven, let the tray cool down and place the baguettes on a rack to cool down to room temperature.
- Store them at room temperature if you plan to use them in the next couple of days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Baked goods that use psyllium always result is slightly moist texture.
- When ready to be baked, just add the wet ingredients!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:11:28.