Pulled Pork with BBQ Sauce
- 1.6 kilograms pork shoulder (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 1 white onion (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- Preheat your slow cooker and set to high.
- Mix all the spices in a bowl.
- Score the skin of the pork by making cuts about an inch apart from one or both directions (and creating square cuts).
- I prefer using a utility knife to score the skin.
- It's sharp, you can easily adjust the blades to the required depth and the blades can be replaced.
- Rub the spices into the pork.
- Peel and roughly slice the onion.
- Place in the preheated slow cooker and add bay leaves.
- Place the pork on top of the onion and cover with a lid.
- You won't need to use any water - there is plenty in the pork.
- Cook on "high" for 5-6 hours, or on "low" 8-10 hours (exact time depends on the slow cooker).
- When done, open the lid and let the hot steam out.
- To make the pork crispy, preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F.
- Using tongs or two forks, place the cooked pork on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the pork with the BBQ sauce and place in the oven.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Alternatively, instead of using the oven, place back in the slow cooker and cook covered for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce.
- Pour the liquid with the cooked onions and bay leaves into a blender.
- Pulse until smooth and set aside (I use a Kenwood blender).
- When the pork is cooked and crispy, remove from the oven and place in a bowl.
- Using two forks, shred the meat into smaller pieces.
- Pour in the sauce from the blender and combine well.
- Serve immediately with roasted vegetables or with Keto Buns and Easy Russian Slaw.
- Otherwise, let it cool down and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- You can also freeze it in batches for up to 3 months.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:02.