Pulled Pork with BBQ Sauce
- 1.6 kilograms pork shoulder (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 1 white onion (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 3 bay leaves ,
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder ,
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder ,
- 1 tablespoon paprika ,
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika ,
- 2 teaspoons salt (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (boneless, 3.5 lb)
- Preheat your slow cooker and set to high. Mix all the spices in a bowl. Score the skin of the pork by making cuts about an inch apart from one or both directions (and creating square cuts). I prefer using a utility knife to score the skin. It's sharp, you can easily adjust the blades to the required depth and the blades can be replaced. Rub the spices into the pork. Peel and roughly slice the onion. Place in the preheated slow cooker and add bay leaves. Place the pork on top of the onion and cover with a lid. You won't need to use any water - there is plenty in the pork. Cook on "high" for 5-6 hours, or on "low" 8-10 hours (exact time depends on the slow cooker). When done, open the lid and let the hot steam out. To make the pork crispy, preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F. Using tongs or two forks, place the cooked pork on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the pork with the BBQ sauce and place in the oven. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Alternatively, instead of using the oven, place back in the slow cooker and cook covered for about an hour. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Pour the liquid with the cooked onions and bay leaves into a blender. Pulse until smooth and set aside (I use a Kenwood blender). When the pork is cooked and crispy, remove from the oven and place in a bowl. Using two forks, shred the meat into smaller pieces. Pour in the sauce from the blender and combine well. Serve immediately with roasted vegetables or with Keto Buns and Easy Russian Slaw. Otherwise, let it cool down and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it in batches for up to 3 months.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:02.