Paleo & Keto St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
- 13 1/2 ounces coconut milk (full-fat)
- 2 tablespoons erythritol (full-fat)
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (full-fat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (full-fat)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (full-fat)
- 3/4 cup erythritol (full-fat)
- 5 large eggs (full-fat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 batch coconut milk (full-fat)
- To make Sweet Condensed Milk: Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a rapid boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer lightly for 32 to 35 minutes, until the milk has thickened and reduced by about half.
- Use immediately in a recipe that calls for it, or let it cool and store in the fridge for later use.
- Now, to making the cake! Step 1.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch (33 by 23-cm) glass or metal baking pan with a dab of coconut oil, then dust with a handful of almond flour.
- Set aside.
- Step 2.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 3.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment or in a mixing bowl (if using a hand mixer), whip the coconut oil on medium speed until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Step 4.
- Decrease the speed to low and slowly add the erythritol over 1 minute.
- Then add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Step 5.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Then, with the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture in 3 batches.
- When just combined, turn off the mixer.
- Step 6.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the cake is light golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Step 7.
- When the cake is cool, poke the top all over with a fork or skewer.
- Pour the warmed condensed milk over the top.
- Step 8.
- The cake can be served immediately but is best when allowed to sit in the fridge for a day, covered in plastic wrap.
- For the best consistency, remove the chilled cake from the fridge 30 minutes before you plan to serve it.
- Slice into eighteen 1¾ by 3-inch (4.5 by 7.6-cm) pieces and dust with confectioners’-style erythritol
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:52:25.