Low Carb Calzone Crust
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon whey protein powder (unflavored, optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- coconut flour
- grated parmesan cheese
- Instructions Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine mozzarella, cheddar, cream cheese, butter, and spices.
- Microwave for 60-90 seconds, until melted.
- Stir to combine.
- Stir in egg and remaining dry ingredients until well combined.
- Roll each section into a ball.
- Lightly "flour" a sheet of parchment paper with grated parmesan and coconut flour.
- I use around a 3:1 ratio, or a teaspoon of coconut flour per tablespoon of parmesan.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball of dough into a circle.
- The dough should be around 1/4 in.
- To keep it soft and workable, you may need to pop each section into the microwave for 10 seconds or so before rolling.
- Using a fork, poke holes in one half of the dough circle.
- This will be the "bottom" of your calzone.
- Add filling as desired.
- To prevent sogginess, I would recommend not adding sauce directly on top of the crust and using no more than ~2 tablespoons of sauce in a large calzone.
- Sliding your hand under the parchment paper, fold the dough over the toppings.
- Microwave for an additional 10 seconds to soften the dough if needed, then seal the edges together using your fingers or a fork.
- Using a knife or fork, poke a few holes in the top of the calzone to let steam escape.
- Optionally, sprinkle the top of each calzone with additional shredded cheese.
- Transfer parchment paper to an oven safe tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- For a bit of extra crisp, finish under the broiler for another 2-3 minutes.
- Source: Try Keto With Me Print
- Not sure which fillings to use? Here are a few combinations that I’ve tried with good results:
- Meat lovers’ pizza: pepperoni, bacon, Italian sausage, salami, ham, cheese, and low carb pizza sauce Spinach and chicken alfredo: chicken breast, spinach leaves, mozzarella, alfredo sauce Turkey, ham, and swiss: sliced turkey and ham, swiss cheese, bacon, and equal parts mustard and mayo Feel free to tweak the crust seasonings to suit your fillings, and remember that any meats you add should be already cooked.
- These keep pretty well in the fridge, although if you want the crust to stay crispy then I recommend a few minutes in the oven after reheating.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:36:14.