Keto Chorizo Shakshuka
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound chorizo (ground)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 red bell pepper (ground)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes in juice
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ounces queso fresco (ground)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (ground)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large cast iron pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chorizo and cook until crumbled, cooked through and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo from the pan and set aside. Add the diced onion and bell pepper to the hot pan and sauté until the onions are translucent and starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and spices and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring to combine. Add back the cooked chorizo and diced tomatoes, with the juice.
- Bring the meat mixture to a simmer and let cook for 15 minutes or until the mixture is thick and the liquid is almost completely reduced. Make 6 wells in the pan with the back of spoon (5 around the edges and one in the middle). Crack one egg into each well. Cover and continue cooking until the egg whites are set and the yolks are cooked to the desired consistency.
- This should take about 6 minutes for a soft yolk and up to 10 minutes for a fully cooked yolk. Remove the lid and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:08:55.