Healthy Salmon Gravlax
- 1 salmon (side of
- 1 1/2 cups rock salt (side of, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 2 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 bunch dill (side of, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons erythritol (side of, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water (side of, 500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- Zest the lemon and chop the herbs.
- Place lemon zest, peppercorns and Erythritol into a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind until fine.
- Mix with rock salt and spirit to form a rough paste.
- Lay cling wrap out on bench and spread a third of the cure over the centre of it.
- Place half of the chopped dill on top of the salt cure.
- Place the salmon on top of the cure and spread the remaining dill over and around the fillet.
- Cover with the balance of the salt cure.
- You want the dill to be the closest ingredient to the salmon.
- Wrap cling wrap very tightly around fish and cure and add a few more cling wrap layers.
- Place in a container and sit a plate on top, weighted with tin cans.
- Sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours, turning every 12 hours or so.
- The salmon will be cured when it is firm to the touch.
- Wipe salt cure off.
- Gently run a sharp knife under the skin to remove.
- Slice salmon thinly.
- Salmon gravlax will keep for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:12.