Zesty Low-Carb Lemon Cake
- 1/3 cup butter (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 4 large eggs (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1 lemon (organic)
- 2 cups almond flour (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/4 cup vanilla (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/2 cup erythritol (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla beans
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mascarpone (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1 cup lemon curd (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon (organic)
- 2 tablespoons erythritol (or ghee, melted, 76 g/ 2.7 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F.
- In a sauce pan, heat up the almond milk.
- Pour it in a bowl over the butter and let it melt.
- Then add freshly grated lemon zest, eggs and vanilla (if using vanilla extract) and whisk until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine all the dry ingredients to make the cake: almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, Erythritol, vanilla (if using vanilla powder), baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Using a mixer, process while pouring the wet ingredients slowly into the bowl.
- Pour the dough into a spring pan lined with parchment paper (I used a 9-inch spring pan but 8-inch would work too).
- Transfer into the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cake is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lemon curd by following this recipe.
- The recipe makes 2 cups but you will need just 1 cup.
- You can either halve the recipe or reserve any leftover lemon curd in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Once done, set aside to cool down to room temperature, and then cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack until it reaches room temperature.
- Once cooled, run a sharp knife around the edges to release the cake, and remove from the spring pan.
- Prepare the cream filling by mixing the mascarpone and vanilla.
- Using a large sharp knife, carefully cut the cake widthwise.
- Spread the vanilla cream over the cut side of the bottom half.
- Top with the prepared chilled lemon curd, and place the other half of the cake on top.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the glaze.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the coconut butter and coconut oil (or use a microwave).
- Add the lemon zest (keep some lemon zest for topping) and Erythritol and mix until smooth.
- Pour the coconut glaze in the middle of the cake, and then spread to cover it evenly.
- Top with the leftover lemon zest.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Serve, or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:51:14.