Perfect Ribeye Steak with Gremolata
- 2 rib eye steaks (small, ideally grass-fed, 400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 1/4 salt (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley (small, ideally grass-fed, 400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic (small, ideally grass-fed, 400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (small, ideally grass-fed, 400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 3 tablespoons ghee (small, ideally grass-fed, 400 g / 14.1 oz)
- Allow the steak to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a paper towel, pat the excess blood off.
- Toss with some melted ghee and season with salt and pepper.
- The ghee may solidify even at room temperature which is perfectly normal.
- Make sure you season the steak after you toss it with oil.
- You don't want to wash the seasoning off.
- Prepare the Gremolata by mixing the melted ghee (or olive oil), freshly chopped parsley, crushed garlic and finely grated lemon zest.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Set aside for later.
- If using ghee, keep warm or it may solidify.
- Fry in a very hot heavy based pan over a high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side to let the meat caramelise and seal in the juices.
- When you see the sides getting brown, it's time to flip it over.
- The exact time depends on the size of your steak.
- Small would take 2 minutes, while large up to 4 minutes to brown.
- Reduce to a medium heat and continue to cook for further 4 minutes (rare), 7 minutes (medium), 11 minutes (well done).
- There is no need to turn the steak again.
- If you use a thermometer, the steak should read 52-60 °C/ 125-140 °F (rare to medium-rare).
- I used a cast iron griddle pan which is perfect for steaks! Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest in a warm place for 5-7 minutes.
- The steak will finish cooking in the residual heat as the temperature slowly goes down.
- The best way to rest the steak is to fold it up in parchment paper and then in a kitchen towel.
- This will keep it juicy and equally pink inside.
- Serve with the Gremolata and try Creamy Keto Mash.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:29:50.