Paleo Turkey Pot Pie – Low Carb, Keto
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 onions (large)
- 1 large carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups turkey (large)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon gyros spice mix (large)
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 1/2 cups bone broth
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (large)
- 1/2 cup broth
- 1 tablespoon ghee (large)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut (large)
- 1/4 cup ghee (large)
- Heat a large skillet or pot on the stove.
- This doesn’t have to be where you will bake the pie.Dice the onion, carrots, broccoli and garlic into small pieces.Measure out seasonings, broth and milk.Cut bacon and heat in a large pot on high until par cooked.Add in the onions and carrots, sauté for five minutes then add in the garlic and broccoli.Sauté, stirring for another five minutes.
- Add in the turkey and seasoning.Stir, and cook until the vegetables begin to brown.Add in the cashew milk and 12 oz broth broth, lower the heat to medium, cover and let it simmer.In a separate small pot or skillet, heat your tbsp of ghee, whisk in the arrow root starch and then the broth to make a rue (a thick base for your sauce), quickly add that in to your simmering turkey and vegetable pot.
- Whisk it in until it’s fully incorporated.
- The sauce will quickly thicken.Cover and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.Transfer turkey mix to your baking skillet or pie dish.In the meantime pre-heat oven to 400°.Combine all the crust ingredients in a bowl and mix with your fingers until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough into a large ball.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten between parchment paper to the diameter of the pot or skillet where you will make the pieLaying the the crust between parchment paper on the counter, lift one side of the parchment paper off carefully then put it back down.
- Flip over and do the same thing.
- This ensures your crust won’t stick to the paper when you flip it on the pie.Now, remove one sheet of the paper from the flattened crust, flip it over onto the pie.Carefully remove the second sheet.
- It will probably crack, that’s ok, use your fingers to repair the cracks as best you can!This is not your average crust dough, it will be very soft as it’s held together by ghee, but it will bake up beautifully!Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until crusts is golden brown.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:29:44.