Low Carb Pork Carnitas
- 5 pounds pork shoulder butt (boneless)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (boneless)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onions (medium)
- 2 jalapeno chilies (boneless)
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 lime (zest and juice)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Remove any string or netting from the pork.
- Unroll it and cut deep slits in the meat to ensure even marinating and cooking.Rub the pork with the cumin, oregano, erythritol, salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil and marinate for 24 hours.Dice the onion, slice the jalapenos and place into the base of your pressure cooker.Add the butter and garlic and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.Add the lime juice, zest and chicken stock, followed by the marinated pork.
- Keeping the skin and fat to the top.Place the lid on your pressure cooker and set the pressure switch to 2.
- Once steam is beginning to escape, drop the temperature to low and cook the pork for 2 hours.After 2 hours has passed, turn off the heat and allow your pressure cooker to sit and depressurize for 20 minutes before releasing the lid.Gently remove the pork from the pressure cooker, it will be very soft and tear apart easily.
- We recommend using a set of tongs in each hand or a sturdy spyder tool to remove it.Put the pork into a baking tray and shred the meat with the tongs or a pair of forks.Turn the heat back to high and reduce the cooking juices by two-thirds (2/3).
- Pour the reduced juices over the shredded pork.To serve, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the pork to the pan and press down gently.
- Cook until the pork is as crispy as you desire.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:59:01.