Low Carb Beef Stew (Gluten-free, Keto, Whole30)
- 1 1/4 pounds chuck roast (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 6 ounces celery root (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 4 ounces pearl onions (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 3 celery (ribs
- 3 ounces carrots (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 2 cloves garlic (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 5 cups beef broth (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 1 bay leaf (trimmed, cubed, 1 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- winter savory
- summer savory
- juniper berries
- orange peel
- red wine
- balsamic vinegar
- Preparation: Remove the chuck roast from the refrigerator to come to temperature.
- Quarter the mushrooms and set aside.
- Wash and chop the vegetables putting them together in a bowl for later.
- Trim the excess fat off of the chuck roast (pot roast) and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- (I used 1 1/4 pounds of meat, but you may use more if you wish.) Thoroughly mix two teaspoons of oil into the beef.
- Method: Place a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot on the stove over medium heat.
- When hot, add the rest of the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pot.
- Add the mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Do not disturb them for 2 minutes.
- Stir and let them cook for two minutes more.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pot and add them to the other vegetables.
- Brown the beef in the pot in batches, adding more oil as needed.
- Place all of the beef into the pot and stir in the bay leaf, thyme, and tomato paste making sure to coat the beef.
- Let it cook for less than a minute, then slowly add 1 cup of broth while scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the rest of the broth and bring the stew up to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low-ish and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- Insert a fork into a piece of meat to check for tenderness, it should meet little to no resistence.
- If tough, let it cook another 20 minutes.
- When tender, add the vegetables and turn up the heat until it simmers.
- Turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes to an hour or until the vegetables and meat are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:37:48.