Keto Sausage Gravy and Biscuit Bake
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons butter (frozen)
- 2 egg whites
- 12 ounces breakfast sausages (frozen)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (frozen)
- 1/2 cup half & half
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon xanthan gum. Grate the frozen (or very cold) butter.
- Mix into the flour mixture with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside. In a separate medium size bowl beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined. Chill the biscuit mixture in the refrigerator while making the gravy. In a large skillet brown the sausage over medium heat. Remove the sausage to a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess grease, reserving about a tablespoon of fat in the skillet. Turn the heat to medium-low and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum into the grease, whisking constantly. Cook the xanthan gum for about a minute until lightly browned. Whisk in the chicken stock, onion powder and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the gravy to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Taste at this time and add salt if needed. Whisk in the half and half and continue to simmer until the gravy is thick and creamy, about another 3 minutes. Stir the cooked sausage into gravy and remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 375°F degrees. Pour the sausage gravy into an 8x8 casserole dish. Drop the biscuit mixture on top of the gravy in small spoonfuls, distributing as evenly as possible.
- The mixture will be thick. Bake for 18-20 minutes until hot, bubbly, and the biscuits are baked and browned.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:59:56.