Keto Eggs Benedict
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (melted)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (melted)
- 2 buns (almond
- 4 slices prosciutto (melted)
- 2 eggs (poached)
- We can all agree that the rich and creamy Hollandaise is what makes or breaks a good eggs benny, so we whip ours up using traditional methods; whisked by hand and emulsified over a double-boiler.
- Sounds complicated? It's not.
- Add about an inch of water to a small pot, and size up a mixing bowl (heat-safe) that fits snugly in the pot without coming into contact with the water.
- Set the bowl aside and start bringing the small pot of water up to boil.
- Separate two egg yolks into the mixing bowl and add in 1/2 tsp of white wine vinegar (you can reduce this or omit altogether if you're not a fan of too much acidity).
- Once your water is up to a rolling boil, place the bowl over top and start whisking the yolks until they start to pale in colour (anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or two).
- Make sure the bowl isn't touching the water, or you may end up having scrambled eggs for breakfast instead!
- Slowly start adding the melted butter while continuing to whisk rapidly.
- Once all the butter is combined, add in the lemon juice and continue whisking until the sauce thickens slightly (enough to coat the back of a spoon).
- Add in the salt, pepper, cayenne, and give it one more stir.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Note: If the sauce becomes too thick by the time you're ready to dress the egg, add in a teaspoon or two of hot water and stir to reconstitute.
- To poach your eggs, bring a large pot of water with a tablespoon of vinegar to a stable, and gentle boil.
- If the boil is too violent, the egg won't set together nicely.
- In the meantime, start frying your prosciutto up, you want to get it nice and crispy.
- Crack one egg into a small bowl or tea cup.
- Stir the boiling water to create a whirlpool effect and drop in the egg along with the rotation.
- Repeat with your second egg.
- For classic, runny egg yolks, let them poach for about 3 minutes.
- Remove and place on some paper towel to remove excess water.
- Now on to the fun part.
- Assemble your eggs benny: almond bun, prosciutto, poached egg, and an overzealous pour of Hollandaise.
- Breakfast fit for a keto king or queen!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:26.