Keto Eggs Benedict
- 2 egg yolks ,
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar ,
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice ,
- 1/8 teaspoon salt ,
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (melted)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (melted)
- 2 buns (almond,
- 4 slices prosciutto (melted)
- 2 eggs (poached)
- We can all agree that the rich and creamy Hollandaise is what makes or breaks a good eggs benny, so we whip ours up using traditional methods; whisked by hand and emulsified over a double-boiler. Sounds complicated? It's not. Add about an inch of water to a small pot, and size up a mixing bowl (heat-safe) that fits snugly in the pot without coming into contact with the water. Set the bowl aside and start bringing the small pot of water up to boil. Separate two egg yolks into the mixing bowl and add in 1/2 tsp of white wine vinegar (you can reduce this or omit altogether if you're not a fan of too much acidity). Once your water is up to a rolling boil, place the bowl over top and start whisking the yolks until they start to pale in colour (anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or two). Make sure the bowl isn't touching the water, or you may end up having scrambled eggs for breakfast instead! Slowly start adding the melted butter while continuing to whisk rapidly. Once all the butter is combined, add in the lemon juice and continue whisking until the sauce thickens slightly (enough to coat the back of a spoon). Add in the salt, pepper, cayenne, and give it one more stir. Set the sauce aside. Note: If the sauce becomes too thick by the time you're ready to dress the egg, add in a teaspoon or two of hot water and stir to reconstitute. To poach your eggs, bring a large pot of water with a tablespoon of vinegar to a stable, and gentle boil. If the boil is too violent, the egg won't set together nicely. In the meantime, start frying your prosciutto up, you want to get it nice and crispy. Crack one egg into a small bowl or tea cup. Stir the boiling water to create a whirlpool effect and drop in the egg along with the rotation. Repeat with your second egg. For classic, runny egg yolks, let them poach for about 3 minutes. Remove and place on some paper towel to remove excess water. Now on to the fun part. Assemble your eggs benny: almond bun, prosciutto, poached egg, and an overzealous pour of Hollandaise. Breakfast fit for a keto king or queen!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:26.