Healthy Mackerel Salad
- 2 mackerel fillets (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 2 large eggs (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 1 avocado (medium
- 2 cups green beans (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 4 cups lettuce (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (180 g / 6.3 oz)
- Start by cooking the eggs.
- Fill a small saucepan with water up to three quarters.
- Add a good pinch of salt.
- This will prevent the eggs from cracking.
- Bring to a boil.
- Using a spoon or hand, dip each egg in and out of the boiling water - be careful not to get burnt.
- This will prevent the egg from cracking as the temperature change won't be so dramatic.
- To get the eggs hard-boiled, you need round 10 minutes.
- This timing works for large eggs.
- When done, remove from the heat and place in a bowl filled with cold water.
- I like and always use this egg timer! Cook the green beans.
- Fill a small sauce pan with water and season with salt.
- Add the green beans and bring to a boil.
- Cook until crisp tender for 4-5 minutes.
- When done, take off the heat and pour the hot water away to prevent the beans from further cooking.
- Make small diagonal slashes on the skin side of the mackerel - don't cut too deep.
- Season with salt and pepper from both sides.
- Heat a pan greased with ghee.
- Once the pan is hot, add the mackerel fillets, skin side down, and cook over a medium-high heat until the skin is crispy and the meat opaque and cooked.
- When done, take off the heat and set aside.
- You can use splatter shield like this one - it's great for catching spat oil.
- When the eggs are chilled, peel off the shells.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients (olive oil, mustard and lemon juice).
- Wash and drain the lettuce in a salad spinner or just by pat drying using a paper towel.
- Add quartered cooked eggs, sliced mackerel fillet and drizzle with the prepared dressing.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:51:32.