Fluffy Grain-Free Sunflower Bread
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 2 large egg whites (separated)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (separated)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (separated)
- 1/2 cup luke warm water (separated)
- 2/3 cup psyllium husks (separated)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (separated)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda ,
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds ,
- 1 teaspoon salt ,
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (separated)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (separated)
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F. For a recipe of 10-12 servings, line a large loaf pan (7 x 4.5 inch / 12 x 18 cm) with baking paper. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Place the egg whites (6 egg whites in total) in a bowl and keep for later. Mix the egg yolks (4 egg yolks in total - reserve 2 for another recipe) with the toasted sesame oil and melted ghee or butter. Pour the water into the egg yolk mixture and mix well. Don't waste the 2 leftover egg yolks - use them for making Home-made Mayo, Easy Hollandaise Sauce, Frozen Fat Bomb, Smoothies, Keto Coffee or Lemon Curd. Beat the egg whites until they create soft - but not stiff - peaks. Add the cream of tartar while beating. Adding cream of tartar directly to the egg whites will help them stay fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix the flax meal, psyllium husk powder, baking soda, caraway seeds and salt. Do not use whole psyllium husks - if you cannot find psyllium husk powder, use a blender or coffee grinder and process until fine. Using an electric mixer, add the egg yolk mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and process well. Immediately after you pour in the egg yolk mixture, add a quarter of the soft whipped egg whites to lighten up while mixing. Then add the remaining egg whites and slowly mix in. If you wait for too long the dough will clump up. You don't need to be too gentle while stirring but try not to deflate the egg whites completely. Add the sunflower seeds and fold them in the dough. Fill the loaf pan with the dough and transfer into the oven. Bake for about an hour. When done, remove from the oven. If you used a regular loaf pan with baking paper, remove from the loaf pan grabbing it by the baking paper. Be careful not to get burnt. This will help avoid too much moisture on the outsides of the loaf. Let it cool down on a cooling tray for at least 15-20 minutes. Try toasting it and eat with grass-fed butter, cream cheese or homemade sugar-free jam. Keep at room temperature covered with a kitchen towel for up to 3 days or place in a zip-lock bag and freeze for longer Apart from Sunflower bread, make sure you also check out my other low-carb bread recipes on my blog and in my Apps and Cookbook!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:56.