Fluffy Grain-Free Sunflower Bread
- 4 large eggs (separated)
- 2 large egg whites (separated)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (separated)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (separated)
- 1/2 cup luke warm water (separated)
- 2/3 cup psyllium husks (separated)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (separated)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (separated)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (separated)
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Place the egg whites (6 egg whites in total) in a bowl and keep for later.
- Mix the egg yolks (4 egg yolks in total - reserve 2 for another recipe) with the toasted sesame oil and melted ghee or butter.
- Pour the water into the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
- Don't waste the 2 leftover egg yolks - use them for making Home-made Mayo, Easy Hollandaise Sauce, Frozen Fat Bomb, Smoothies, Keto Coffee or Lemon Curd.
- Beat the egg whites until they create soft - but not stiff - peaks.
- Add the cream of tartar while beating.
- Adding cream of tartar directly to the egg whites will help them stay fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flax meal, psyllium husk powder, baking soda, caraway seeds and salt.
- Do not use whole psyllium husks - if you cannot find psyllium husk powder, use a blender or coffee grinder and process until fine.
- Using an electric mixer, add the egg yolk mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and process well.
- Immediately after you pour in the egg yolk mixture, add a quarter of the soft whipped egg whites to lighten up while mixing.
- Then add the remaining egg whites and slowly mix in.
- If you wait for too long the dough will clump up.
- You don't need to be too gentle while stirring but try not to deflate the egg whites completely.
- Add the sunflower seeds and fold them in the dough.
- Fill the loaf pan with the dough and transfer into the oven.
- Bake for about an hour.
- When done, remove from the oven.
- If you used a regular loaf pan with baking paper, remove from the loaf pan grabbing it by the baking paper.
- Be careful not to get burnt.
- This will help avoid too much moisture on the outsides of the loaf.
- Let it cool down on a cooling tray for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Try toasting it and eat with grass-fed butter, cream cheese or homemade sugar-free jam.
- Keep at room temperature covered with a kitchen towel for up to 3 days or place in a zip-lock bag and freeze for longer Apart from Sunflower bread, make sure you also check out my other low-carb bread recipes on my blog and in my Apps and Cookbook!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:56.