Tomato Soup with Cheese Croutons - Low Carb, Keto, GF
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes ,
- 2 tablespoons onions (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream ,
- 1 cup chicken broth ,
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (finely diced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese ,
- nonstick cooking spray ,
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ,
- salt ,
- Spray a baking sheet liberally with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Mound the shredded cheese into small piles, keeping at least 1.5” between each as they’ll spread when they bake. Sprinkle the tiny piles with a pinch of garlic powder. Bake at 350 for 5-6 minutes. Watch closely and pull once you see the cheese take on a light brown color at the edges. Set aside while you prepare your soup. -In a pot over medium heat, add extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic and diced onions. Cook in oil for 2 minutes until aromatic, taking care not to burn. -Once onion and garlic have softened, add crushed tomatoes and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes so that it begins to take on the onion and garlic flavors. Stir in the chicken broth and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. -Turn the heat to low and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley leaves, and top with cheddar crisps as croutons. Serve and enjoy! Nutritional Information per serving: 304 calories, 27.6 grams fat, 7.6 grams carbohydrate, 1.0 grams fiber, 6.6 grams net carbohydrate, 13.2 grams protein.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:00.