Tomato Soup with Cheese Croutons - Low Carb, Keto, GF
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons onions (finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (finely diced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Spray a baking sheet liberally with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- Mound the shredded cheese into small piles, keeping at least 1.5” between each as they’ll spread when they bake.
- Sprinkle the tiny piles with a pinch of garlic powder.
- Bake at 350 for 5-6 minutes.
- Watch closely and pull once you see the cheese take on a light brown color at the edges.
- Set aside while you prepare your soup.
- -In a pot over medium heat, add extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic and diced onions.
- Cook in oil for 2 minutes until aromatic, taking care not to burn.
- -Once onion and garlic have softened, add crushed tomatoes and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes so that it begins to take on the onion and garlic flavors.
- Stir in the chicken broth and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- -Turn the heat to low and stir in cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh basil or parsley leaves, and top with cheddar crisps as croutons.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:00.