Probiotic Dairy-Free Keto Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- water (for soaking)
- 3/4 teaspoon probiotics (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 110 milliliters filtered water (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 2 nutritional yeast (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himal (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- extra olive oil (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- Soak the macadamia nuts in water overnight (enough to cover them).
- Rinse and then drain the macadamia nuts.
- Place the macadamia nuts, warm water and probiotics in a food processor or a blender, and blitz until smooth.
- Spoon into a glass bowl and cover with a muslin cloth.
- Secure the rim with pegs.
- Leave to culture in a warm spot (not direct sunlight) for 2 days.
- Mix well.
- Place the macadamia mix into the muslin cloth and squeeze out the excess water.
- Tie up with a piece of string and leave suspended over a bowl for 6 hours to drain and firm.
- Line 4 loose bottom mini cake tins with cling film.
- Spoon in the mix and level.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, up to 2 days until the desired firmness of cheese is achieved (4 hours for a softer cheese, or a day for a firmer cheese).
- Remove the macadamia vegan nut cheeses from the tins and cling film and roll in chilli flakes, chopped fresh chives, black pepper or dried rosemary.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, keto crackers or fresh vegetable crudités.
- Store in fridge, wrapped in cling film for up to 3 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:29:40.