Probiotic Dairy-Free Keto Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- water (for soaking),
- 3/4 teaspoon probiotics (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 110 milliliters filtered water (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 2 nutritional yeast (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himal (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest ,
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder ,
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- extra olive oil (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- Soak the macadamia nuts in water overnight (enough to cover them). Rinse and then drain the macadamia nuts. Place the macadamia nuts, warm water and probiotics in a food processor or a blender, and blitz until smooth. Spoon into a glass bowl and cover with a muslin cloth. Secure the rim with pegs. Leave to culture in a warm spot (not direct sunlight) for 2 days. After 2 days, add the nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic powder. Mix well. Place the macadamia mix into the muslin cloth and squeeze out the excess water. Tie up with a piece of string and leave suspended over a bowl for 6 hours to drain and firm. Line 4 loose bottom mini cake tins with cling film. Spoon in the mix and level. Refrigerate for 4 hours, up to 2 days until the desired firmness of cheese is achieved (4 hours for a softer cheese, or a day for a firmer cheese). Remove the macadamia vegan nut cheeses from the tins and cling film and roll in chilli flakes, chopped fresh chives, black pepper or dried rosemary. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, keto crackers or fresh vegetable crudités. Store in fridge, wrapped in cling film for up to 3 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:29:40.