Low-Carb Chicken Fricassee
- 500 grams chicken thighs (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 4 tablespoons ghee (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1 yellow onion (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 2 cloves garlic (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1 celery ribs (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1 cup white mushrooms (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1 bay leaf (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons herbs (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (thinly sliced, 1.1 lb)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into medium pieces and season with salt.
- Heat a large casserole dish or skillet greased with 2 tablespoons of ghee over a medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken slices and cook until browned from all sides, for 6-8 minutes.
- Once browned, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Work in batches if needed - do not overfill the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of ghee in the pan where you cooked the chicken.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic.
- Cook until lightly browned and fragrant, for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, add the sliced celery stalks and mushrooms.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for a minute.
- Add the lemon juice, chicken stock, white wine, crumbled bay leaf and paprika.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream with the egg yolks.
- Slowly drizzle the egg & cream mixture into the pan while mixing and cook until thickened, for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add freshly chopped herbs (reserve some for garnish).
- Don't waste the egg whites! Keep them for making any of my keto bread recipes or Sugar-Free Meringues.
- Put the browned chicken back into the casserole, combine and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once cooked, set aside.
- In another large pot, cook the cauliflower rice.
- Grease the pot with the remaining tablespoon of ghee.
- Add the "riced" cauliflower (see my step-by-step guide on how to "rice" cauliflower).
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When done, serve the chicken with the cauliflower rice and garnish with the reserved parsley.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:51:33.