How To Make Chicken Cracklings
- 2 chicken (ideally 3-4
- chili powder
- dried mixed herbs
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F.
- Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper and have another piece of parchment paper ready to cover the chicken skins.
- First, you'll need to skin the chicken.
- Loosen the skin by placing your fingers underneath and gently lifting it up.
- Make shallow cuts round the joints where the wings and drumsticks are attached to the body and lift / peel the skin off.
- Remove the skin from the breast and the back of the chicken and cut as needed.
- Then, remove the remaining skin from the thighs and wings.
- You won't be able to remove all the skin from the wings - that's fine.
- Use the skinned chicken for making soups, chicken stock, shredded chicken or for roasting.
- I would usually use it for making shredded chicken & chicken stock and freeze the skin until I have just enough to make the cracklings - use skin from 2-4 chickens at a time.
- If you store the skins ion the freezer, defrost and pat-dry before making the cracklings.
- Pat dry the skins using a paper towel.
- Lay the skins on the parchment paper in a single layer, season with salt and spices to taste and top with another piece of parchment paper.
- This will help the skins get crispy without burning.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- When done, there will be excess fat on the parchment paper - you can probably reuse it but I just bin it.
- Try with Guacamole, Marinara sauce, soured cream or your favourite cheese dip.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:29:59.