Gluten Free, Paleo & Keto Double Chocolate Muffins
- 48 grams almond flour
- 30 grams flax seed meal (finely ground)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 70 grams grass-fed butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1/2 cup xylitol sweetener (finely ground)
- 40 grams cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder (finely ground)
- 2 eggs (at room temperature***)
- 80 grams chocolate bars (finely ground)
- 80 grams pecans (finely ground)
- sea salt (finely ground)
- See recipe video for guidance on methodology!Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat to 350°F/180°C.
- Line or grease and flour a muffin pan, set aside.
- Add almond flour, flaxseed meal and baking powder to a medium bowl.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined, set aside.
- Add butter (or coconut oil and cream), sweetener, cocoa powder, salt and espresso powder (optional) to a large heatproof bowl.
- Melt over a water bath whisking constantly (or use the microwave).
- You'll want to heat it up until most of the sweetener has melted and the mixture is well incorporated.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add one egg at a time, whisking well after each one until completely incorporated.
- The texture should appear smooth, with all the sweetener dissolving into the mixture.
- If you used coconut oil, you want to be sure to mix it particularly well.
- Add the flour mixture, whisking vigorously until fully blended (about a minute).
- Fold in chocolate pieces (or pecans) and spoon into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes if you like your keto chocolate muffins extra fudgy (they'll be set, but still jiggly), for medium fudgy-ness 14-17, and for 'normal muffin' texture 18-20 minutes.
- Varies a little from oven to oven, but these are good guidelines.
- Always keep in mind, however, that your muffins will continue to cook while cooling! Sprinkle with flakey sea salt (optional) and allow to cool for at least 15-20 minutes in the muffin pan.
- They'll be particularly fragile right out of the oven if you made them fudgy and with xylitol, so you need to let them set.
- Keep stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- These guys are also best served warm.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:14:05.