Gluten Free & Keto Gingerbread Cupcakes
- 64 grams almond flour
- 21 grams coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husks
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch black pepper (or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed)
- 2 egg yolks (or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed)
- 6 tablespoons Swerve Sweetener (or Sukrin Gold
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses (or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 57 grams grass-fed butter (or 2 teaspoons ground flaxseed)
- 60 milliliters water
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Grease and flour (with coconut flour) a muffin tray.Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.Whisk together in a medium bowl almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium husk, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg yolks with sweetener until pale and fluffy, 1-3 minutes.
- Incorporate molasses (optional), vinegar, and melted butter.
- Add flour mixture slowly, alternating with water and beating until well incorporated.
- Fold egg whites little by little and gently into batter.
- The dough will be thick initially, but will loosen up as you begin to incorporate the egg whites.
- Spoon batter onto the prepared muffin tray, evening out the top with the back of a wet spoon.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (covering with aluminum foil at 15), until deep golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing, and cool completely in a rack if frosting.
- Just note that these are best enjoyed fully cooled, once the flavors have had a chance to mingle.
- And are even SO much better the day after, once all the spices have settled in.
- While the gingerbread cupcakes are cooling, make the lemon buttercream frosting by adding the zest of one lemon to our buttercream frosting.
- Store, without the frosting, in an airtight container for up to 3 days, though we're fairly certain they'll be long gone before then.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:14:34.