Foolproof Kale Chips Three Ways
- 1 bunch kale (green or red, stems removed, 200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (green or red, stems removed, 200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (green or red, stems removed, 200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to low, 115 °C/ 240 °F.
- Remove the stems and tear or chop into large-bite-sized pieces.
- Don't make them too small, they'll shrink a bit while baking.
- Wash the kale thoroughly.
- Place in a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.
- Make sure you drain it completely (paper towel works best).
- If you don't dry it enough, it will get soggy.
- Pour in the melted ghee ...
- and "massage" into the kale leaves evenly.
- Mix the seasoning (if used): Curried or ...
- Other seasonings: Smoky paprika or Mediterranean.
- If making Mediterranean kale chips, do not add the Parmesan at this point - it will be added at the end of the baking process.
- Sprinkle the salt and seasoning over the kale leaves and mix using your hands until the seasoning covers the kale from all sides.
- Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and transfer into the oven.
- If you don't want to get messy, simply place the kale into a ziploc bag, add the seasoning and shake well.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the baking sheet round to ensure even cooking.
- Place back in the oven and bake for 20 more minutes (total of 40 minutes).
- If making Mediterranean kale chips, add the Parmesan cheese for the last 5-10 minutes of the baking process.
- Simply sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the kale chips.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down for 5 minutes.
- After the kale cools down completely, place it in an airtight container and store at room temperature.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:40:05.