Foolproof Kale Chips Three Ways
- 1 bunch kale (green or red, stems removed, 200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (green or red, stems removed, 200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (green or red, stems removed, 200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder ,
- 1 teaspoon curry powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric ,
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika ,
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder ,
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder ,
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning ,
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to low, 115 °C/ 240 °F. Remove the stems and tear or chop into large-bite-sized pieces. Don't make them too small, they'll shrink a bit while baking. Wash the kale thoroughly. Place in a salad spinner to remove excess moisture. Make sure you drain it completely (paper towel works best). If you don't dry it enough, it will get soggy. Pour in the melted ghee ... ... and "massage" into the kale leaves evenly. Mix the seasoning (if used): Curried or ... Other seasonings: Smoky paprika or Mediterranean. If making Mediterranean kale chips, do not add the Parmesan at this point - it will be added at the end of the baking process. Sprinkle the salt and seasoning over the kale leaves and mix using your hands until the seasoning covers the kale from all sides. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and transfer into the oven. If you don't want to get messy, simply place the kale into a ziploc bag, add the seasoning and shake well. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the baking sheet round to ensure even cooking. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 more minutes (total of 40 minutes). If making Mediterranean kale chips, add the Parmesan cheese for the last 5-10 minutes of the baking process. Simply sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the kale chips. When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down for 5 minutes. After the kale cools down completely, place it in an airtight container and store at room temperature. Enjoy!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:40:05.