Easy Homemade Sauerkraut
- 2 heads cabbage (1 kg / 1000g / 2.2 lb / 35.2 oz)
- 1 tablespoon salt (1 kg / 1000g / 2.2 lb / 35.2 oz)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 juniper berries
- water (if needed)
- Cut the cabbage in quarters and remove the hard cores.
- Discard any dry outer leaves.
- Cut the cabbage into slices.
- If you prefer a fine texture, use a food processor.
- Transfer the cabbage into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and optionally with caraway, juniper berries and mustard seeds.
- I like my sauerkraut with caraway seeds and juniper berries.
- Mix well and let it sit for about 2 hours.
- After 1-2 hours, the sauerkraut will start releasing its juices and reduce in volume.
- Press and squeeze the cabbage to release as much of the juices as you can.
- A) Mason jar method: Add the cabbage to the jar.
- Press down until the cabbage is submerged in its juices or add a small amount of water if needed.
- Leave a small gap on top and weigh down using a small bowl (not shown on the photo).
- Top with the cheesecloth and tighten with a string or the outer part of the lid.
- Place on a plate - some of the juice may run over.
- B) Fido jar method (preferred): After discovering the super-easy Fido jar method, I'm no longer using a mason jar.
- Simply place the sweated cabbage in a Fido jar, leave a small gap and close it.
- You won't need to weigh the cabbage down with a Fido jar.
- Don't worry about the jar exploding, the fermentation gasses will escape through the rubber lid while no oxygen will get in, thus there will be no risk of failure.
- Oxygen is what causes mold, so do not open the jar during fermentation.
- No matter which method you use, keep the jar from direct sunlight and ferment at room temperature (15-24 °C/ 60-75 °F) for 3-5 weeks.
- The warmer it gets, the less it will take to ferment.
- Just make sure it's not too hot or the sauerkraut will become unappetising.
- Refrigerate and store up to 6 months or preserve for longer.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:09.