Basic Keto Mayonnaise
- 1 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (—or Country Dijon Mustard)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 drop stevia (—or Country Dijon Mustard)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (—or Country Dijon Mustard)
- Stick Blender: Combine all ingredients in a glass mason jar (a pint jar).
- Insert immersion blender (aka stick blender) into the jar making sure to place blender tip at the bottom of the jar.
- Turn the stick blender on and slowly work it up and down to mix everything (about 10-15 seconds).
- Then position the blender with the burr at the bottom of the jar and blend—slowly—lifting up on the stick blender as the mayonnaise comes together and thickens or emulsifies.
- Gradually and slowly work your way up the jar until every bit of the oil is incorporated.
- It sounds contradictory but don’t mess around.
- Try to work fairly quickly to keep the heat from the burr blender to a minimum.
- This is an almost foolproof method, and Fluffy Chix Cook’s personal favorite.
- Remove burr blender.
- Stir with a clean, sterilized spoon to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Seal tightly and according to Alton Brown, it's time to let the mayo sit out on the counter for one to two hours, to let the acids in the mayonnaise kill any beasty-bugs.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Food Processor or Blender Method: Place first 6 ingredients into container.
- Pulse 5-7 time to mix ingredients and make the liquid frothy.
- With the processor or blender running, slowly drizzle oil into the mixture in a thin stream (about the size of a piece of butcher's twine or string.
- When a smooth emulsion has formed and about half of the oil has been accepted, it's safe to pour the oil in a bit faster, in a bigger stream.
- If the mayo breaks, where oil begins to stand on top, stop adding oil.
- Try pulsing 2-4 times.
- If the emulsion doesn't come back into a smooth and even paste, try turning the machine back on and drizzling in a tablespoon or two of ice water until an emulsion forms.
- Then continue adding the remaining oil.
- Mix in additional elements for your desired variations.
- Cover and refrigerate up to a week.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:34:35.