Turkey Dinner with Homemade Gravy
- 5 pounds whole turkey (or something in similar size)
- 1/2 onions (medium)
- 1 lemon (medium)
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 stalks spring onions (or something in similar size)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or something in similar size)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons herb seasoning (or something in similar size)
- turkey (Leftover Innards of)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon worchestershire
- 2 spring onions
- 3 brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1/2 gravy (the amount of
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Stuff the turkey with all of the ingredients listed.
- Mix together the coating ingredients and then pour over the entire outside of the turkey.
- Make sure everything is coated (make more if needed).
- Bake turkey for 2 1/2 hours (you may need to cook it longer depending on the size - you want 165F internal temperature) .
- In the meantime, boil the turkey innards in 3 cups water and 1/3 cup chicken broth.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce heat down to medium-low so it continues to simmer for about an hour.
- Add a few brussels sprouts, spring onion, Worcestershire and salt and pepper to the gravy.
- Boil for 30-45 minutes more and then blend with an immersion blender.
- At this point, you can split the gravy in half (I have non-keto family that wanted it their way) or keep it the same.
- Before the turkey is going to come out of the oven, add spices (except xanthan gum) and cream to gravy and bring to a full boil.
- Continuously stir and let it reduce over the next 15-20 minutes.
- Once it gets to a good consistency (relatively thick), add the xanthan gum and mix it all well.
- Let turkey rest and then pour pan drippings into gravy for a richer sauce.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:59:54.