Keto Meat Pie
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups coconut flour
- 1/4 cup psyllium husks
- 2 eggs (pastured
- 1 pound bacon (pastured, beaten)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup mushrooms (pastured, beaten)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage (pastured, beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (pastured, beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (pastured, beaten)
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 eggs (beaten)
- First make the crust: Put the lard, butter and water in a small sauce pan and stir until melted, but do not let it boil.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients, make a hollow in the center and put in the beaten eggs, mixing them roughly with the flour.
- Pour in the hot water and fat mixture and mix well with an electric whisk, until a dough is formed.
- If the dough is too dry add 2 to 3 tablespoons of warm water.
- Dough should ball up nicely and be soft and pliable, almost sticky.
- Set dough aside to rest and make the filling.
- In a food processor mince the bacon pieces until finely ground.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet (like this one) and add the bacon.
- Saute the bacon until it starts turning golden.
- Add the ground lamb to the skillet and saute on a high flame until it starts to brown.
- Add the mushrooms and the broth to the skillet and keep sauteing for another minute.
- Now add the spices to the skillet and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and let cool.
- Take the dough and divide in roughly two parts, then make a ball from each part.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out with a rolling pin (or a wine bottle!), until about ¼ inch thick.
- Grease your pie dish with a bit of lard and then lay the first disk of dough inside to line the bottom.
- Trim and round the edges.
- Now pour the content of the cooled filling into the pie dish.
- Roll out the second piece of dough like you did to the first one , but this one should be slightly thinner and wider than the pie dish diameter.
- Remove the top parchment from the dough and lay the dough on the pie to cover it up.
- Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal the pie.
- Now make about 6 cuts in to the dough, about 1 inch long to let the steam out.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie at 350F for 45 minutes.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:32:45.