Keto Horchata Smoothie
- 2 handfuls almonds (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 1 cup almond milk (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 1 large eggs (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 3 tablespoons erythritol (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 20 drops stevia extract (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- 2 cups warm water (blanched, 60g / 2.1 oz)
- Place the blanched almonds, fresh lime zest and cinnamon stick in a bowl.
- Cover with 2 cups of warm water.
- Let stand for at least eight hours or even better overnight.
- Note: If you only have unblanched almonds, you will have to peel them after they get soft and before blending.
- After the nuts have soaked and softened, remove the cinnamon stick and lime zest.
- Place the rest (almonds and water) into a small sauce pan.
- Add the almond milk and puree with a hand blender until very smooth.
- Note: You can get unsweetened almond milk in most supermarkets or on-line.
- However, if you can, make your own almond milk to avoid any unnecessary additives.
- Here is a simple recipe for almond milk (I would skip the dates).
- Almond Breeze, which is probably the most commonly used one, has a long list of ingredients.
- Some of them are harmless vitamins but it also contains "carrageenan".
- The health effects of this additive are not clear and may cause inflammation which could lead to more serious problems.
- Heat the mixture up until it starts sizzling and add cinnamon and the sweeteners.
- Whisk the egg and pour it slowly into the mixture while stirring constantly to avoid clumping.
- Keep stirring and cook for a minute or two.
- Take off the heat and mix in the chia seeds.
- Allow to thicken, pour in a glass and serve immediately or refrigerate and serve chilled.
- If you don't like the grainy texture of chia seeds, simply place in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Note: For smooth texture, use ground chia seeds.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:12:00.