Keto Ham, Cheese & Zucchini Breakfast Bake
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 3 zucchini (large
- 1/4 cup goat cheese (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 bunch kale (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon marinara sauce (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 medium eggs
- 5 slices parma ham (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 cup almond flour (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (chopped, 70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F (fan assisted).
- Grate the zucchini.
- Place in a new bowl and heat in the microwave for 5 minutes on high.
- Remove from the microwave and allow to cool.
- Place the grated zucchini in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the excess water.
- Peel the shallot and garlic.
- Dice fine.
- Keep separate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a sauce pan on a medium/ low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds until soft and translucent.
- Ensure the heat isnt too high to stop them burning.
- Once cooked place in a large mixing bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a cup and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Blitz the kale in a food processor until fine or option to dice as finely as possible.
- Place the cooked zucchini in a mixing bowl and combine with the goats cheese, chives, parsley (keep some for topping), kale, marinara sauce, salt, pepper, eggs and almond flour.
- Mix well.
- Line a medium baking tray with greaseproof paper to prevent sticking (I used 8 x 11 x 1.5 inch/ 20 x 28 x 4 cm baking tray).
- Coat the top of the greaseproof with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Spoon in the keto breakfast bake filling and smooth with a spatula ensuring it fills to the edges.
- Peel the remaining zucchini using a vegetable peeler to make thin strands about 2 mm thick.
- Place alternating layers of parma ham and courgette on top of the low carb breakfast slice.
- I like to place 2 - 3 zucchini strips on top of each other and brush the top with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until the top is slightly crisp and the base cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:30:10.