How To Cook The Perfect Steak
- 2 rib eye steaks (or large boneless strip, 1 ½ - 1 ¾ inch / 4 - 4 ½ cm thick, 800 g/ 1.76 lb)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or large boneless strip, 1 ½ - 1 ¾ inch / 4 - 4 ½ cm thick, 800 g/ 1.76 lb)
- steak sauce
- Preheat the oven to 135 °C/ 275 °F.
- Remove the steaks from the fridge.
- Pat the steaks dry using a paper towel.
- Cut each steak in half vertically to create four evenly sized steaks.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Press the sides of the steaks in until uniform 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) thick.
- Place the steaks on a wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminium foil.
- Place in the oven.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until meat registers 32-35 °C/ 90-95 °F (for rare to medium-rare) - I like mine rare - ...
- or 25-30 minutes until meat registers 38-40 °C/ 100-105 °F (for medium).
- If using filet mignon steaks, increase the cooking time by about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet greased with ghee over a high heat.
- Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on one side, lifting once halfway through cooking to redistribute fat underneath each steak.
- Using tongs, turn and cook until well browned on the second side for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes.
- It is essential to sear the steaks briefly in order to keep the meat directly under the crust from turning grey.
- Transfer all the steaks to a clean wire rack and reduce the heat under the pan to medium.
- Holding two steaks at a time together, return to the pan and sear on all sides until browned, for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Repeat for the remaining two steaks.
- Meanwhile, prepare your favourite steak sauce or try with Gremolata, Hollandaise, Ranch Dressing, Marinara Sauce or Keto Cheese Sauce.
- Serve with Creamy Keto Mash or Greek Salad!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:52.