Crispy Creamy Green Bean Casserole (keto, paleo, whole30)
- 2 pounds green beans (fresh, trimmed)
- 5 slices bacon (fresh, trimmed)
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms (fresh, trimmed)
- 2 cups onions (fresh, trimmed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (fresh, trimmed)
- 2 cups cauliflower (fresh, trimmed)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F.Combine the cauliflower, garlic cloves and coconut milk in a sauce pot, cover with a lid and heat over medium heat.
- Cook here until the cauliflower is fork tender.In the meantime, arrange your green beans side by side vertically in rows, in one flat layer over 2 sheet pans.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms all over.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and distribute it evenly over all of the veggies.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes, middle and bottom rack.
- Rotate the pans after 10 minutes.In the meantime heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the oil or butter then the onions.
- Sprinkle in the salt.
- Use tongs or forks to gently toss.
- Then cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Stir every 5 minutes until green beans are ready.
- They will begin to get tender, then translucent, then browned and finally soft and sweet with some toasty bits!By now the cauliflower should be soft.
- Carefully transfer all the contents of the sauce pot to a blender.
- Blend on high until smooth, add in a little bit of water or broth if needed.
- Then add in the egg yolk one at a time until fully combinedWhen the green beans are ready remove them from the oven.
- They will be browned and crunchy, try not to eat them all.Arrange them in a casserole dish, I like to arrange them in little bunches with the greens beans (with the mushrooms and bacon pieces) all facing the same way, makes it easier to serve.
- Pick a few pieces of bacon out and set them aside.Pour the cream sauce all over the green beans and use a spatula to spread it out.
- Then top with the caramelized onions and those bacon pieces you set aside.Pop the casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.Remove from the oven, and serve!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:33:41.