Best Keto Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 1 yellow onion (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 1.2 kilograms beef (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 1 rutabaga (swede
- 3 kohlrabi (or turnips
- 4 celery ribs (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 can tomatoes (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 1/2 cup water (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (medium, chopped, 110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- Peel and dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Cut the beef into large 2-inch (5 cm) pieces.
- Set aside.
- Peel the rutabaga and kohlrabi (or use turnips instead of kohlrabi).
- Cut them into about 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- Chop the celery stalks.
- Set all the vegetables aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and grease with ghee.
- Sdd the onion (use 6 or 8-quart/L Instant Pot).
- Cook for just 3 minutes, until fragrant and then add the minced garlic.
- Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the beef chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until browned from all sides while stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the paprika, allspice, chopped rutabaga, kohlrabi and chopped celery stalks.
- Mix until combined and add the canned tomatoes.
- Turn the Sauté off.
- Cover with a lid and set to Manual.
- Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- When the program has finished, let the steam release naturally for 15-20 minutes, and then turn the valve to venting to release the remaining steam.
- To make the creamy sauce, whisk the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of water.
- Keep the egg whites for another recipe (see suggestions listed in my Keto Lemon Curd).
- Strain the juices (the red sauce) into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Temper the red sauce into the egg yolk mixture while whisking.
- When you add about half of the red sauce, return everything into the saucepan with the remaining red sauce.
- Cook while stirring for 4-6 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- If the sauce is not smooth or has curdled, use an immersion blender and process until smooth and creamy (be careful not to get burnt!).
- Pour the creamy sauce back into the pot with the cooked meat & vegetables.
- Stir to combine.
- To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- I haven't tried freezing it and I'm not sure whether the sauce would separate if you do.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:50:53.