Almond & Cashew Butter
- 1 cup almonds (blanched or whole, 150g / 5.3 oz)
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts (blanched or whole, 150g / 5.3 oz)
- 4 tablespoons almond oil (blanched or whole, 150g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 pinch salt (blanched or whole, 150g / 5.3 oz)
- I used blanched almonds but you can use whole almonds.
- Both the almonds and cashew nuts should be unsalted.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F.
- Spread the almonds and cashews over a baking sheet and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the nuts.
- If they get burnt, they will have an unpleasant bitter taste.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- Place the nuts into a food processor and using a grating blade pulse until smooth - this may take some time, so be patient.
- You can reserve some chopped nuts for later to create a chunky texture.
- Update: Since I got my new Kenwood mixer with a food processor attachment, I don't use anything else to make nut / seed butter.
- It's strong, doesn't overheat and takes just a few minutes to make smooth butter! At first, the mixture will be dry.
- Scrape down the sides of your processor several times with a rubber spatula if the mixture gets stuck on it.
- Add the oil and ...
- keep blending until you reach the desired consistency.
- This could take 5-15 minutes depending on which food processor you are using.
- You don't need to use the oil but I prefer to add some to create a smoother texture.
- I used an immersion blender from Bamix but you may find it easier if you use Vitamix or Blendtec.
- Spoon the butter in a glass container and keep refrigerated or at room temperature.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:06.