Melitzanosalata (Greek Eggplant Salad) and Why Eat Eggplants
- 4 eggplant (average,
- 1 white onion (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 4 cloves garlic (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 1 lemon ,
- 1 handful chopped parsley ,
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F. Wash and dry the eggplants and place them on a baking sheet. Do not cut or pierce them. Place them in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes. When done, the eggplants should be soft. An hour of cooking should be enough but if needed, cook for longer. Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the onion and place in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Pour the olive oil into a bowl. Place the onion into a cheesecloth or fine-mesh sieve. Squeeze out the juices - as much as you can. Discard the solids or keep them in the fridge for other uses (e.g. adding to meat stews). Mix the olive oil, freshly squeezed onion and lemon juice, mashed garlic and finely chopped parsley. When the eggplants are soft, remove from the oven and let them cool down. Cut the eggplants and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Using a fork, mash the eggplant flesh into desired consistency - do not blend. Add the oil and herb mixture and stir in well. Season with salt and enjoy! Serve immediately as a side with meat like Pork skewers or use as dip for vegetables and low-carb crackers like Nut crackers - both recipes can be found in my apps and book.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:29:44.