Melitzanosalata (Greek Eggplant Salad) and Why Eat Eggplants
- 4 eggplant (average
- 1 white onion (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 4 cloves garlic (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (average, / aubergines, 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F.
- Wash and dry the eggplants and place them on a baking sheet.
- Do not cut or pierce them.
- Place them in the oven and cook for 45-60 minutes.
- When done, the eggplants should be soft.
- An hour of cooking should be enough but if needed, cook for longer.
- Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop the onion and place in a food processor.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Pour the olive oil into a bowl.
- Place the onion into a cheesecloth or fine-mesh sieve.
- Squeeze out the juices - as much as you can.
- Discard the solids or keep them in the fridge for other uses (e.g.
- adding to meat stews).
- Mix the olive oil, freshly squeezed onion and lemon juice, mashed garlic and finely chopped parsley.
- When the eggplants are soft, remove from the oven and let them cool down.
- Cut the eggplants and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the eggplant flesh into desired consistency - do not blend.
- Add the oil and herb mixture and stir in well.
- Season with salt and enjoy! Serve immediately as a side with meat like Pork skewers or use as dip for vegetables and low-carb crackers like Nut crackers - both recipes can be found in my apps and book.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:29:44.