Make Low-Carb Lemon Curd
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup erythritol (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 100 grams butter (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 20 drops liquid stevia
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- Start by washing and zesting the lemons...
- and then halve and juice them.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with powdered erythritol and add stevia (if used for additional sweetness).
- Pour in the lemon juice and add the lemon zest.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering water and stir constantly; make sure the water doesnt touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Keep stirring for 8-10 minutes or until the custard starts to thicken.
- Then take off the heat.
- If you are planning to use the curd in a pie, add the thickener mixed with water (arrowroot or gelatine).
- Add butter cut into small pieces and mix until melted and well combined.
- Don't worry if the curd is not smooth or looks scrambled.
- To fix it, you can use a blender or a food processor and pulse for just a few seconds.
- Place the bowl with the curd in a larger bowl filled with ice water (cold water with ice cubes) and mix until the curd is chilled.
- When done, place in an airtight jar and keep refrigerated for up to 10 days.
- Lemon curd works great as a dip with grain-free crackers, poured over berries, as topping in parfaits such as Eton Mess or filling in pies (arrowroot or gelatine should be added for a firmer texture).
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:57.