Make Low-Carb Lemon Curd
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 6 large egg yolks ,
- 1/2 cup erythritol (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 100 grams butter (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- 20 drops liquid stevia ,
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (fresh, ~ 3 lemons, unwaxed)
- Start by washing and zesting the lemons... ... and then halve and juice them. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with powdered erythritol and add stevia (if used for additional sweetness). Pour in the lemon juice and add the lemon zest. Mix until well combined. Place the bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering water and stir constantly; make sure the water doesnt touch the bottom of the bowl. Keep stirring for 8-10 minutes or until the custard starts to thicken. Then take off the heat. If you are planning to use the curd in a pie, add the thickener mixed with water (arrowroot or gelatine). Add butter cut into small pieces and mix until melted and well combined. Don't worry if the curd is not smooth or looks scrambled. To fix it, you can use a blender or a food processor and pulse for just a few seconds. Place the bowl with the curd in a larger bowl filled with ice water (cold water with ice cubes) and mix until the curd is chilled. When done, place in an airtight jar and keep refrigerated for up to 10 days. Lemon curd works great as a dip with grain-free crackers, poured over berries, as topping in parfaits such as Eton Mess or filling in pies (arrowroot or gelatine should be added for a firmer texture). Enjoy!
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:57.