Low Carb Onion Rings - Gluten-Free, Keto
- 2 yellow onion (large, sliced in 1/3" rings)
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 cups pork rind (large, sliced in 1/3" rings)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Peel and slice onions into 1/3" rings.
- Discard outer layer of onion and separate the inner rings.
- -Place all rings in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup heavy cream over the onions.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- This will reduce some of the onion's sharpness and create a milder flavor.
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with nonstick coconut oil cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- -Use three bowls to create an assembly line to coat the onion rings in batter.
- In the first bowl, place coconut flour.
- In the second, combine the whisked egg with 1 tbsp heavy cream.
- In the third, place the crushed pork rinds and stir in garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- -One by one, dunk the onion rings into coconut flour, coating the entire piece.
- Then dunk the same ring into the egg mixture, shaking off the excess egg wash.
- Finally, dunk the ring into the pork rind crumbs, taking care to make sure the rinds stick to the ring.
- (Keep in mind, these won't be completely coated like typical onion rings due to their lack of AP flour.
- As long as they have some breading, they'll cook nicely.) -Move each coated onion ring to the greased baking sheet.
- Make sure the rings are placed in a single layer with no stacking.
- Discard any remaining breading and coconut flour, as they've been in contact with egg.
- -When all rings are coated, drizzle each of them with a bit of avocado oil to help crisp in the oven, place baking sheet in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- -While the onion rings are cooking, prepare the sriracha dipping sauce by combining the mayo and sriracha and stirring until combined.
- -As the onion rings near the 18 minute mark in the oven, check on them to make sure the crust looks golden brown but not burned.
- If they look golden, take them out of the oven and allow to cool for a minute before you take them off the baking sheet.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:04.