Low Carb Onion Rings - Gluten-Free, Keto
- 2 yellow onion (large, sliced in 1/3" rings)
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour ,
- 2 eggs (whisked),
- 1/2 cup heavy cream ,
- 3 1/2 cups pork rind (large, sliced in 1/3" rings)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder ,
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika ,
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise ,
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce ,
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Peel and slice onions into 1/3" rings. Discard outer layer of onion and separate the inner rings. -Place all rings in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup heavy cream over the onions. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. This will reduce some of the onion's sharpness and create a milder flavor. -Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with nonstick coconut oil cooking spray. Set aside. -Use three bowls to create an assembly line to coat the onion rings in batter. In the first bowl, place coconut flour. In the second, combine the whisked egg with 1 tbsp heavy cream. In the third, place the crushed pork rinds and stir in garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. -One by one, dunk the onion rings into coconut flour, coating the entire piece. Then dunk the same ring into the egg mixture, shaking off the excess egg wash. Finally, dunk the ring into the pork rind crumbs, taking care to make sure the rinds stick to the ring. (Keep in mind, these won't be completely coated like typical onion rings due to their lack of AP flour. As long as they have some breading, they'll cook nicely.) -Move each coated onion ring to the greased baking sheet. Make sure the rings are placed in a single layer with no stacking. Discard any remaining breading and coconut flour, as they've been in contact with egg. -When all rings are coated, drizzle each of them with a bit of avocado oil to help crisp in the oven, place baking sheet in oven and bake for 20 minutes. -While the onion rings are cooking, prepare the sriracha dipping sauce by combining the mayo and sriracha and stirring until combined. Place in serving bowl. -As the onion rings near the 18 minute mark in the oven, check on them to make sure the crust looks golden brown but not burned. If they look golden, take them out of the oven and allow to cool for a minute before you take them off the baking sheet. -Place on a serving tray with the sriracha mayo for dipping. Enjoy! Nutritional Info per serving: 264 calories, 22 grams fat, 8 grams protein, 6.7 grams carbohydrate.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:40:04.