Low-Carb Instant Pot Clam Chowder
- 4 slices bacon (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 white onion (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 3 cups turnips (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 20 ounces clams (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (chopped, 120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot and sauté the bacon for 4-5 minutes until almost crisp.
- Stir in the butter.
- Add onion, celery, garlic, and spices.
- Sauté another 3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the turnips and clam juice (all of the reserved clam juice + water to equal 2 cups).
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the knob is in the sealing position.
- Press Cancel, then Manual and set to high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has ran out of time, manual release the steam and stir in the clams and cream.
- Press Cancel then Sauté.
- Using a potato masher mash about half of the turnips to create a thicker soup.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme and serve.
- To store, let it cool down and refrigerate leftovers in a covered glass container or jar for up to 3 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:40:09.