Low-Carb Butternut Squash Lasagna
- 1 batch marinara sauce (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 400 grams butternut squash (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 700 grams ground beef (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 sea salt (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ricotta cheese (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (Homemade, 300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- Prepare the Marinara Sauce by following this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F.
- I used pre-cut butternut squash lasagne sheets.
- If you can't get pre-cut slices, simply peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds.
- Then use a mandolin to slice it thinly (about 1/8 inch or 1/4 cm).
- Grease a large pan with ghee and add the ground beef.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring, or until opaque.
- Add half of the marinara sauce and oregano.
- Season with half of the salt and pepper.
- Prepare the ricotta layer.
- Combine the ricotta, eggs, chopped parsley and basil.
- Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread the remaining marinara sauce on the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- I used a 26 x 18 x 6.5 cm (10 x 7 x 2.5 inch) casserole dish.
- Add the first layer of butternut squash slices.
- You will use a total of 3 butternut squash layers.
- Top with half of the ground meat mixture and half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Add another layer of butternut squash slices and top with the remaining ground beef.
- Spread the remaining ricotta cheese mixture on top of the ground beef.
- Top with the remaining butternut slices, grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover the casserole with a baking foil and transfer into the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Once cooled, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:40:00.