How To Make Sunbutter
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted sunflower kernels (350 g/ 12.3 oz)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (350 g/ 12.3 oz)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the sunflower seeds in a food processor (I use this Kenwood mixer with a food processor attachment that includes the "S blade").
- Tip: Try toasting the seeds to enhance flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C/ 350 °F.
- Spread the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and toast for 5-8 minutes until light golden.
- Mix once or twice to prevent burning.
- Start processing until desired consistency is reached.
- At first, it will be dry and powdery - be patient and keep blending.
- Here's how it looks after 40 seconds ...
- After 1 1/2 minutes ...
- And after 5 minutes...
- Scrape the processed seeds from the sides as often as needed (I did this four times).
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and pulse for another 30-60 seconds.
- When done, the butter should be smooth like this.
- Place it in a container and store at room temperature for up to a week or in the fridge for longer (I keep mine for up to a month).
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:58.