Chinese Sesame Chicken (paleo, keto, whole30)
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless chicken breast (skinless)
- white sesame seeds (skinless)
- 1 scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (skinless)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 chicken egg (skinless)
- 10 pitted Medjoo (skinless)
- 1 clove garlic (skinless)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (skinless)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (skinless)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper sauce (skinless)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ghee (skinless)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup water
- Chicken: Dice chicken to small bite-sizes (small cube shape) and season with salt, pepper, ginger, arrowroot powder, and olive oil.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Sauce: Pulse dates, garlic clove, and ginger in a small food processor a few times until finely chopped.
- Add the rest of ingredients under “sauce”.
- Toss/blend a few more times until the sauce is smooth and no fruit chunks.
- Pan-fry: Pre-heat a large stainless steel skillet (without oil) over low heat until it’s well heated (about 4-5 mins), add avocado oil and pan fry the chicken in separate batches (not to overcrowd the skillet).
- Don’t touch or move the chicken pieces until you see the bottom layer is in golden brown then cook the flip side until they are about 90-95% cooked through.
- Set aside with chicken juice in the skillet.
- Combine: Add a bit more cooking oil to the skillet, saute ‘aromatics’ with a sprinkle of salt until fragrant.
- Add 3-4 heaping tbsps of sesame chicken sauce*, quickly stir-fry the sauce with aromatics for 8-10 seconds then add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Coat the sauce over chicken pieces and stri-fry for a few additional minutes until they are cooked through.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
- Serve hot and immediately with steamed broccoli florets or any simple mixed green salad of your choice.
- Recipe Notes Make-ahead tips:
- Complete Steps 1 and 2.
- Store the sauce in food glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- If it becomes to thick, add 1 tbsp water/broth to thin the paste before using.
- Dice chicken to small bite sizes and add seasonings.
- Store in food glass container in the fridge if use the next day or store flat in large freezer friendly ziplock bags for later use.
- In Step 4, feel free to add more sauce if preferred.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 18:43:49.