Amarena Cherry Ice-cream (Low-carb, Paleo)
- 2 1/2 cups cream (heavy whipping or coconut milk, 600g / 21.2 oz)
- 1 cup crème fraîche (heavy whipping or coconut milk, 600g / 21.2 oz)
- 1/2 cup erythritol (heavy whipping or coconut milk, 600g / 21.2 oz)
- 20 drops stevia extract (heavy whipping or coconut milk, 600g / 21.2 oz)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla beans
- 3 large egg yolks (heavy whipping or coconut milk, 600g / 21.2 oz)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons gelatin
- 3/4 cup cherries (heavy whipping or coconut milk, 600g / 21.2 oz)
- Pour the cream (or the coconut milk) in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cream for later.
- Add the Erythritol and stevia and stir well.
- If using vanilla bean, cut the vanilla bean lenghtwise and scrape the seeds out.
- Add the seeds to the cream.
- Cook until your instant-read thermometer reaches 80 °C/ 175 °F.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the egg yolks with the remaining cream.
- Slowly pour about a cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking.
- Then, slowly pour the egg mixture back in the sauce pan and keep mixing.
- Cook until the temperature on your instant-read thermometer reaches 85 °C/ 185 °F.
- Take off the heat and set aside.
- Mix the gelatine with the water and pour it into the cream mixture.
- Set the sauce pan over an ice bath (bowl filled with iced water) and let it cool down.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix in well.
- If used, add the crème fraîche / soured cream and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the into the ice-cream maker (I use Cuisinart) and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- It may take anything between 30-60 minutes depending on your ice-cream maker.
- When done, place in a freezer-friendly container and add the Amarenata.
- Mix slightly to create swirls.
- Place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes.
- Enjoy! Tip: Ice-cream straight from the freezer may be too hard but you know the trick.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:51:06.