Traditional Avgolemono Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ,
- 1 onions (medium,
- 4 chicken breasts (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 6 cups chicken broth (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 2 cups water (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 2 lemon (juiced,
- 1/2 head cauliflower (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 3 eggs ,
- dill ,
- pepper ,
- salt ,
- chopped parsley
- To rice a head of cauliflower, first remove the leaves and chop into large florets. Grate each floret on the coarsest side of a box grater or pulse a few times in a food processor. Dont over-process, the florets can turn into a pulp very quickly! To shred chicken breast, first cook the chicken all the way through on an oiled pan. Using two forks (or meat claws if you have) pull the meat apart until you have small pieces and lots of strips of chicken breast meat. In a large, oiled pot over medium heat, cook your onions until translucent and turning brown. Add your chicken broth, water, cream, shredded chicken and riced cauliflower. Add your herbs and the juice of 2 lemons. Do a taste test here, make sure the soup is salted enough and the lemon flavor comes through. Let this cook for about 8 minutes to allow the cauliflower to become tender. While the soup is cooking, beat 3 eggs together in a bowl. You first need to temper the eggs so they dont cook unevenly and become stringy in the hot soup. To do this, while whisking the eggs with one hand, pour a ladle of the soup broth into the eggs slowly. This way, the eggs are brought to the right temperature gradually, instead of being shocked by the heat of the soup. When your egg bowl has 1-2 ladles full of soup broth in it, turn the flame under the pot off. In the same manner, pour your egg mixture into the soup slowly, stirring the soup while you pour. Do not turn the heat back on, instead, let the soup bring the eggs to its full temperature for about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately with some fresh, chopped parsley and a sprinkle of pepper.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:47.