Traditional Avgolemono Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onions (medium
- 4 chicken breasts (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 6 cups chicken broth (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 2 cups water (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 2 lemon (juiced
- 1/2 head cauliflower (medium, 110 g / 3.9 oz)
- chopped parsley
- To rice a head of cauliflower, first remove the leaves and chop into large florets.
- Grate each floret on the coarsest side of a box grater or pulse a few times in a food processor.
- Dont over-process, the florets can turn into a pulp very quickly! To shred chicken breast, first cook the chicken all the way through on an oiled pan.
- Using two forks (or meat claws if you have) pull the meat apart until you have small pieces and lots of strips of chicken breast meat.
- In a large, oiled pot over medium heat, cook your onions until translucent and turning brown.
- Add your chicken broth, water, cream, shredded chicken and riced cauliflower.
- Add your herbs and the juice of 2 lemons.
- Do a taste test here, make sure the soup is salted enough and the lemon flavor comes through.
- Let this cook for about 8 minutes to allow the cauliflower to become tender.
- While the soup is cooking, beat 3 eggs together in a bowl.
- You first need to temper the eggs so they dont cook unevenly and become stringy in the hot soup.
- To do this, while whisking the eggs with one hand, pour a ladle of the soup broth into the eggs slowly.
- This way, the eggs are brought to the right temperature gradually, instead of being shocked by the heat of the soup.
- When your egg bowl has 1-2 ladles full of soup broth in it, turn the flame under the pot off.
- In the same manner, pour your egg mixture into the soup slowly, stirring the soup while you pour.
- Do not turn the heat back on, instead, let the soup bring the eggs to its full temperature for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with some fresh, chopped parsley and a sprinkle of pepper.
Originally posted 2019-02-20 17:39:47.